[ENGLISH] A Good Name -Analysis to my real name

Our view of the world is shaped with the help of the people around us. This molds our identity and it solidifies over time. But some of these identities stick with us since birth and (will probably) not be changed throughout the course of our lives. One of these identities is our names. We get our names from our parents who are influenced by their surroundings. Names are unique depending on where you come from.  
My full name is Azim Masrizki Baruno.  In Indonesia, the majority of the population consists of Muslims. Islam takes part in a daily life of a Muslim Indonesian. These influences have influenced in naming me. Azim comes from the word Al-Azim which translates to The Great One in Arabic. The name Al-Azim comes from the 99 names of God. This is a part of my religion. It defines as the Beautiful Names that describes God. We use these names to praise God, to thank him and to seek forgiveness to him. The 99 names of God is commonly used and seen in many Islamic countries. These names are as common as the name Muhammad.
My penname, Jay Hitherton (shameless nickname promotion) has sentimental value. Jay is short for the name James.  It is the British variant of the name Jacob.  The name Jacob derives from Hebrew and is defined as the one who undermines the heel/supplanter. I have used this penname because Jay/James is a very common name and it can stick to one’s mind quite easily. But I did not realize until recently that it has a deeper meaning.  The ‘westernized’ name was influenced by the media and the ‘western’ exposure from the friends that I hang out with. This can influence on how I want to name myself.
Names have sentimental value to their respective owners. It gives them identity. It identifies who the person is. The name that you get form your parents differ from how you were influenced and what language you speak. 

Comments

  1. Nice blog! The quote that "names give people identity." stood out for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with your perspective on how names gives your identity and has sentimental value. When someone hears a name, they will link it with a past experience they have had with him/her as well as their characteristics of the person, therefore judging who they are (best friend, relative, ect.)and maybe even their achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading through your post. I actually didn't know your name has any connections with religion but since we're both enlightening each other with facts, here's a little piece of info; your name "Azim" translates to "Great" in Arabic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found this blog very interesting as i didn't really think that your surroundings would have an influence on your parents when it came to naming you, as I thought that your parents would name you using a name that they like

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[ENGLISH] A Study in Igbo - Persuasive Speech

[ENGLISH] Self Interview: All About Me