I recently came across this article of yours on your website titled "Twtr? It's majorly bad! Leading headteacher condemns 'text speak' for eroding schoolchildren's language skills". I believe that there are ways that the current so-called "modern technology" can be viewed as a miraculous method of improving a child's grammar and vocabulary skills. English is a universal language. It is used and molded by the frequent users of the language. A lot of social media revolves around the English Language. This language helps us communicate with people of different gender, age, ethnicity, nationality and different preferences. With so much people being involved in it can create intimacy towards these kids. These so called strangers can also help and correct their English skills and the reverse can also happen. Social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Reddit have also encourages children to practice their writing skills. They tend to write...
I listened to this and I enjoyed the entire thing. You talked about most necessary aspects, went into the history, gave examples of the language, why it is dying out, etc. However, what it is missing - if I remember correctly - is the consequences of the language dying out. What is happening to the culture and what would happen if it does die out? That would be interesting to know whether it would matter to Switzerland or not.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYour podcast, in my opinion, is a very impressive response to this task. You guys did a great job encompassing the language with historical and religious aspects. You also did a great job maintaining a theme of a very naturally going discussion, well done! I am currently learning french and it was very interesting to see similarities between Romansh and French in words like “bienvenue” and a question that popped in my head and begs verification is: do you believe that the dominance of a certain language with greater economic might and prestige is the only why and wherefore behind the depletion of another?
ReplyDelete